Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Gym | Day One

Last year, for the second term of school, I got really into working out, most likely because my mom had signed me up for a marathon (20 km) and I really needed to train. I never really went to the gym, as a kid I took swimming/lifeguarding lessons, ice skating, skiing, dance, karate and tai chi, but as I got older, I had less time for all these things, I eventually ended up only doing tai chi, which was fun but not as full of exercise as it had once been when training for competitions and such, which built my endurance.

For the past few years, I didn't have any time to go to dance nor tai chi, which ended up with me only getting my exercise through walking and the occasional speed walking. It wasn't until my mom had signed me up for the marathon that I figured I should get back in shape. So I started going to the gym, and built my endurance, I was able to run 10 km, no problem; but every time, I ended up getting shin splints which held me back from running in the 20 km marathon. I feel bad for wasting my mom's money and faith in me to run the marathon, but shin splints are serious injuries and it could've ruined my life.

But during my second term at the gym, I slowed down on the intense training for the marathon, and worked on my endurance and strength, everyday I'd be at the gym, even if it was light biking while doing my course readings or what not, I'd always be at the gym. Not only did I eat healthier, but I realized that my acne was starting to go away from all the water I was consuming. (I've had an acne problem since 8th grade) 

Summer came and the only exercise I ever did was walk or lift plants and groceries during work. It wasn't until I got back to school that I realized how out of shape I was and how bad my acne was getting. So today marked the first day I returned back to the gym, it's a further distance than it was last year, but it definitely felt good to be back to exercising and getting into shape.

My friend and I ran for 20 minutes on the treadmill and realized that I was still able to do it, a bit tired but not too bad. We then followed by heading to the weight room, to work on our shoulders, back and chest, I was only able to do a few reps at 15 lb, but don't worry, I'll be able to do 30 lb soon! (My arms will be jelly tomorrow) Abs of course followed with me only being able to do 5 crunches, we then did the bicycle crunch. Stretching came after which was nice, I'm definitely further than I was before when stretching and touching my legs and what not, but eventually I'll get back to how well I was able to stretch before. 

For dinner, I rewarded myself with a big bowl of salad and a steak, very satisfying. Oranges will come in a bit after I finish doing some homework!

It's definitely feeling good to be back at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment