Monday, November 11, 2013

Review: Nars X Guy Bourdin | One Night Stand Cheek Palette

The holidays are coming up and the presents and gift sets start rolling out! I find that this year, Sephora has outdone itself in the amount of gift sets that have come out and are now in-store. Specifically the hype this year is surrounding this Nars X Guy Bourdin One Night Stand Cheek Palette. It consists of 4 blushes, 1 highlighter and 1 bronzer: Orgasm, Deep Throat, Goulue, Mistinguette, the highlighter, Devotee and the bronzer, Laguna. Three of these are already cult favourites by Nars (Orgasm, Deep Throat & Laguna) and are just added in whereas two of the blushes are special edition blushes created by Guy Bourdin.
Nars Holiday 2013 Collection
Guy Bourdin One Night Stand Cheek Palette
Guy Bourdin is a renowned French fashion photographer in the 1950's to the 1980's. And this holiday, Nars has been inspired by them to create a cheek palette. The palette includes, from top to bottom, left to right:

  • Devotee Highlighter (0.14oz) - highlighter glow
  • Mistinguette Blush (0.14oz) - bubblegum/bright pink
  • Deep Throat Blush (0.14oz) - sheer peach
  • Laguna Bronzer (0.14oz) - light brown with gold shimmer
  • Orgasm Blush (0.14oz) - peachy pink with shimmer
  • Goulue Blush (0.14oz) - medium pink
I have never owned anything from Nars, and have always wondered what the hype around the Orgasm blush was, so when this palette came out, I knew I had to get my hands on it and try out the other cult favourites that everyone has been talking about. This palette is definitely not cheap ($72 at Sephora) but, I purchased it when Sephora had its 20% off sale for VIB members, and the first day the sale began, it was already sold out online and claims to be sold out in-stores. I didn't order it online because I wanted to see what the size of each blush was in person, but I wanted to slap myself when it was sold out online because I worried that I would never be able to get it. But when I got to the store, they had about 10 in stock, so I quickly got my hands on one! Thankfully, the cashier told me that they only received it a few weeks ago, so praise small town malls!

This palette is definitely worth it if you only own one or two of the cult favourites because it provides one more cult favourite and 3 more different shades, two of which are limited edition. The colours in this palette compliment any skin tone and the coverage is definitely buildable. The colours come up nicely and the shimmer gives a nice look as if you've just walked inside from the cold, rosy cheeks all round! Each blush/highlighter/bronzer consists of 0.14oz of each colour, which is almost the same size as one blush (0.16oz) which usually costs $32 at Sephora stores, so it's definitely worth it to give this a try if you haven't already yet and if you haven't tried any Nars products before! 


Because, it is a palette, and I don't own that many cheek products (UD Bronzer & Tarte 24-hour Blush), this was definitely something I could use for a while and change up my make up routine. I'm excited to see what else will come from Nars in the new year!


*I have read about the controversy over the Nars X Guy Bourdin collaboration and I agree that Guy Bourdin has done some terrible things in the way he treated models, his wife and colleagues but François Nars looked up to him and used the inspiration he received from Guy Bourdin to create this palette. You may not agree with me, but I feel that we should respect his decision to create such a wonderful palette as this. 

Image from: InStyle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment