Thursday, November 7, 2013

Review: Drugstore Mascaras

Just like all of you, myself included, we can't all afford expensive and fancy mascaras. (I am a University student to add to that) So, we all go for the next best thing, drugstore brand mascaras. Now, I'm not saying that drugstore mascaras aren't good, to be honest they could be just as good (or dupes). So as a person who is more likely to wear mascara than any other make up product because it's that much easier, here are my reviews on the ones that I've used.

Just to put that out there, here are the mascara's I've tried throughout the past few years, suggestions are welcome! I'm not a big spender ($10+) when it comes to mascara/make up so all of these were most likely purchased when they were on sale, (usually go for $3.99 - $5.99 at Shoppers Drug Mart, Wal-Mart & Target are both cheap when it comes to regular price)
  • Benefit They're Real, sample size (Sephora birthday gift pack!)
  • Covergirl Lash Blast Volume
  • Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion
  • L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes
  • Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express
  • Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express
  • Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express Waterproof
  • Maybelline Falsies Big Eyes
  • Maybelline Falsies Waterproof
  • Maybelline One by One Volum' Express
  • Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes 
  • Maybelline Define-a-Lash
To be honest, I'm sure I've tried way more than this but these are the ones that come to the top of my head when I think of the ones I've tried out so far. 



Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express
My current favourite is the Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express. I feel that it adds a lot of volume to my lashes and they also hold them up after I've curled them (which not many mascaras can do!) 
Score: 8.5/10



Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express, Washable/Waterproof
Another that I really enjoy is the Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express, the waterproof and the washable one are both good :) The waterproof one holds up very well when drenched in water, so that's always a plus. They're similar to the Covergirl Lash Blast Volume & Fusion, they both separate lashes with very little clumping and add volume, as for holding up curl, they don't do that good a job as the Mega Plush does. 
Score: 8/10



Benefit They're Real!
The Benefit They're Real! works very well in holding up my curls and separating clumping, but it retails for about $28 at Sephora, so that's a downside, but besides that it's amazing and definitely lives up to it's hype! 
Score: 8.5/10

Maybelline Falsies, Waterproof
I'm not a big fan of Falsies Waterproof because when I tried it, it clumped like mad! It might've been the method I used but I'm not too sure, so I'll have to test that one out again. 
Score: 5/10



Upper Lashes
Lower Lashes









Maybelline Falsies Big Eyes, Washable
I only just purchased the Falsies Big Eyes, so I've only tested out the lower lash brush because I have Mega Plush on my upper lashes. The Falsies Big Eyes lower lash brush is much smaller so less product is on it. Less product ends up on your lower lashes which is good and it doesn't clump as much and it's a subtle notice that makes your eyes pop much more than if you were to use a regular lash brush on your lower lashes. So far, I'm liking this lower lash brush on the Falsies Big Eyes. So I used the upper lash today and it's a bit clumpy but it's not too bad and it's manageable. You can build on the volume, so that's a good sign. 
Score: 8/10

Covergirl Lash Blast Volume/Fusion, Washable
I don't feel a big difference between the two of these, they're definitely good at keeping your lashes from clumping, but do they actually add volume? Fusion is supposed to be the one that adds length and volume whereas Volume is the one that just adds volume. I feel that the two of these are pretty much the same, there is the different colour of packaging but besides the colour, the two of these are pretty difficult to tell apart if they make a different a difference or not.
Score: 8/10

L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes, Washable
The only thing I recall from this mascara was that it smelled like roses, and I'm not really accustomed to mascara smelling like anything unless it was expired, so this was kind of irritating because I constantly thought my mascara had gone bad. All in all, this did add a lot of volume and was nice but when it came to holding up curls, it didn't do a good job. I think it did a better job at weighing down my curled lashes than actually keeping them up. There was slight clumping but hey, no mascara is perfect!
Score: 7/10

Maybelline One by One Volum' Express, Washable
This mascara does a good job at individually separating lashes and keeping them from clumping, as for adding volume, it didn't do that well a job. For sure, it added product to my lashes individually (yay for the brush!) but I don't believe it made a big difference to how my eyes were perceived after I had finished applying it onto my eyes.
Score: 7.5/10

Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes, Washable
I absolutely HATED this mascara, there is a lot of hype over how well the Great Lash does, but the Lots of Lashes, I disliked very much. It clumped my lashes and added a lot of unnecessary product onto my lashes. It is a cheap mascara (price-wise) but other than that I'm not a fan. The packaging although, is pretty cute with the heart shaped brush and what not. But I don't feel that the wand did much to my eyelashes except clump them together.
Score: 4/10

Maybelline Define-a-Lash
This mascara was actually not that bad, the brush was a big flimsy and there was slight clumping but it wasn't too bad. It was manageable, but it didn't add much product onto your eyelashes which is pretty much the idea of mascara. I liked that the tube was a bright green and it looked pretty cool, but it's definitely not the best mascara that there is out there.
Score: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment